Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Hellos

Happy Hellos and Merry Christmas Everyone:

This is truly an exciting time. With the holidays upon us and the launch of E:spire Magazine just around the corner; and all the things that will fall in between, I feel as though Christmas will be making two appearances instead on one this winter.

My name is Lorie a.k.a. ThePeddler and I am a Creative Team Member for SOC E:spire Magazine. Before I continue with my introduction, I would like to use this platform to thank Tiare Smith, E:spire Founder, for the opportunity to be a part of this awesome journey. Like many of you, I’m looking forward to a year overflowing in shear inspiration and creativity.

Currently, I live in Baltimore, Maryland with my soon to be (48 hours away) pre-teen son, Kevin whom you will probably hear me refer to from time to time. Kevin plays a big part in where my inspiration is drawn from.

I began crafting at eight years old. My mom was and remains a crafter—just not as much. From as far as I can recall, my hand were always moving whether I was learning how to macramé (Chinese Knotting), pour slip for ceramic pieces, latch hook, crochet, decorating specialty cakes, etc. I was always doing something on the creative side. After the birth of my son, I took up scrapping as a hobby. I would attend crop nights. I love it and how my friends responded to my scrapbook(s).  Then one evening I sat down next to Linda—a lady I did not know.  She was making greeting cards—lots of them too. By the end of the crop, Linda had hooked me and she wasn’t even aware. I left the crop that night with one and half completed pages (probably because I was too busy watching what she was doing) and she walked out with more cards than I could count.  The next time I returned to the crop, I spent half of my time scrapping and the other half making cards. By the time I returned again, I deemed myself a card maker. I loved the idea of creating smaller completed projects in a shorter period of time.


Looking back, I have learned many techniques, as a result my style has evolved. If I had to describe my style, it would be truly eclectic. There are many facets to art that I love to bring to my craft and though you may not see it in one card or layout, it is evident when you visit  my blog. I love the art of collage, lots of color, clear & simple lines, layers and cards that border being slightly baroque. My favorite embellishment is ribbon. My biggest challenge is creating for a male recipient. So, whenever a challenge presents itself, I make sure I participate. Now that you are aware of my Achilles heel, when it comes to paper crafting, what’s yours and how do you handle it?

Thanks for taking a little time to get to know me! I encourage you to leave your comments so, I may get to know you too.


Peace & Blessings,
Lorie

36 comments:

  1. Hi Lorie. Nice to meet you. :) Wonderful page and pictures! I was recently hit with the card bug too and I absolutely love the instant gratification of making them. I'm not sure what my scrap style really is but if I had to describe it today I'd probably call it clean and simple. Looking forward to seeing more of your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kscraps2! Yes, it’s wonderful to create and complete a project in a brief period of time. I wouldn’t concentrate too much on centering on a style just yet. Be sure to explore as many techniques as you can possibly stand. That’s one way not to leave any technique unturned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and Welcome as well. I love paper crafting and I'm a novice at it so I'm hoping to learn more from my new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's Crafty: I have to admit, I'm a novice too. That is, I haven't mastered all the techniques. Which means, I have a lot to learn as well. I assure you, inspiration will be flowing from all directions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards are so gorgeous it's hard to believe you didn't start out as a cardmaker! My challenge is completing a layout with a patterned paper base. I'm strictly a cardstock with no more than two different patterned papers person. I try to overcome it by using sketches and other LOs for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorie, how nice to read your blog and see your work. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Joy! I absolutely love to create greeting cards for family & friends. That's a pretty good remedy for your Achilles heel. Another remedy would be to purchase pattern paper that comes in a set. Most of the time it's a guarantee that the patterns will coordinate with one another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Darvionne! I hope to share more in the coming weeks in E:spire Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lori, thanks for sharing about you. I see some of me in you. I started with macrame, then alittle crocheting, then loved me some AA ceremics ( pouring, cleaning and firing) then on to scrapbooking and like you learned to love the immediate gradification of making cards. You do wonderful work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Mary! Our resumes do appear to mirror one another. I can't say anything other than great minds must think alike:) LOL! I'm looking forward to a year of shear inspiration at E:spire Magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Lorie, looking forward to your participation on this new venture. Thanks for sharing your skills and talents!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your time and talent with us, Lorie! I look forward to seeing more of your creativity and inspiring blogs. To answer your question about my "Achilles heel" when it comes to paper crafting, I'd have to say it's in card making. I love it and get excited when inspired to create, but when I do...well somehow, to me, my end product winds up looking sloppy and rather juvenile to me! Not at all what I had envisioned. So, I just keep on creating and trying again and again. I love the SOC card swaps which give me the chance to get better at a craft which I truly enjoy! Thanks for sharing and giving us a chance to chat back. Have a Merry Christmas, Lorie with Peace to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely layout I really like the pattern paper with the floating hearts and bling. Thks for sharing !! Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Treva! Like you, I'm looking forward to all the possibilities E:spire will bring to all the sistahs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prazdance: Thank you for your comments. Like yourself, I am looking for inspiration from the entire SOC E:spire family. It's nice to know there are a couple other sistahs out there with Achilles heels besides me. I gasped (with a smile) when you revealed your Achilles heel. I believe I felt the same way when I began making cards. When I look at some of my earlier cards, I look with one eye closed. Then I take a look at a more recent card and smile because I notice my growth and potential. I had to stop comparing my cards to others a long time ago and observe the cards instead. I also keep in the back of my mind, I am my worst critic. It appears as though you are on the right track--that is you continue to create. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Terria! I love pattern paper too! So many colors can be introduced to a project using pattern paper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lorie! I love your layout. I'm new to scrapbooking and the cardmaking world and truly love them both! I can't wait to be apart of this wonderful journey! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rasta Girl: Thanks and welcome to the wonderful world of scrapbooking and cardmaking! You are definetly in the right place. The feeling is mutual. I can't wait for this part of the journey to begin as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lorie,
    I'm so very proud of you. I look forward to 2011 and congrats on being a part of an exciting adventure. Can't wait for all the inspiration!!! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lorie. Great layout. I too have always been a crafter and don't know what I'd do without it...drawing, poetry, painting, mixed media, cardmaking, scrapbooking, digi scrapping, knitting, latch hook, cross-stitch! Wow! I don't think I realized I had that many items on my resume! Glad that you are sharing this new journey with me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hellooooooo Lorie, I'm a born craftier I will try anything once LOL. This year I made Christmas cards for the first time, only twenty. Just jump right in and have a crafting good time, I just love our group and you will also.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hellooooooo Scraphappy55! Congratulations on making your Christmas cards this year. Only twent--that's a big number for the first time and I can tell you recieve some gratification from it. Thanks for your comments and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful layouts Lorie! I'm relatively new to scrapbooking and haven't tried cardmarking. I'm sooooo looking forward to learning many things here at SOC. Thanks so much for the inspiration. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lorie-let's try to get together after the holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lindy: If you like scrapbooking, you'll absolutely looovvvvvvvvvvvve cardmaking! I'm looking forward to sharing with what I have learned with the community:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome introduction Lorie. Cardmaking is my thing too because of the instant gratification. Right now I would desribe my style and clean and simple also. I have two challenges - making cards for males and coloring. I have markers, watercolors and prisma pencils but I just haven't been bitten by the coloring bug.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Janet! It always nice to meet a fellow card maker! E:spire Mag will be full of inspiration. As for your two challenges, somethings telling me, coloring might be your thing by this time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Lorie - wonderful cards!! I too lean towards card making over scrapbooking. I look forward to seeing more of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks! It's so nice to know there are so many card makers (and leaning card makers:) here at SOC E:spire. By the way, I'm look forward to sharing with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful Layout Lorie!!! The pics are so sweet...:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...