Sunday, March 2, 2014

Layering 101

Hello Crafty Dahlins!
Emonie here with my very first blog post, Layering 101.  I love lots of layers and embellishments ....do you?  Well if you do this post is definitely for you.  I know many of us have tons of paper and embellishments that we would love to adorn our layouts with but can't quite seem to get it to work. The SOC blog is here to help!! I have a few recipes that will make it easier to add layers and dimension to your layouts.



When choosing your patterned papers it is easier to start with a collection as the color coordination is done for you.  Here I have chosen the Maggie Holmes Collection.  I used 4 coordinating pieces of patterned paper to make my layers.

Recipe for choosing papers :
1.  A base cardstock with multiple colors. You will use those colors in your layers and embellishments
2.  Words/Script Patterned paper
3.  Geometric Pattern paper
4.  Floral Patterned paper

I chose the bokeh print as my base cardstock.  I just love bokeh! Now... lets resize your canvas.  A 12 x 12 can be very overwhelming at the beginning so make your canvas smaller. You can use the conventional sizes 8x8, 6x6 or a custom size.
     When layering be mindful of your adhesive.  I use Tombow Mono Temporary Adhesive.  This adhesive has barely any stickiness but it lets you place your layers down to get an idea of placement. When you feel comfortable with your layers use your phone/camera and snap a quick picture so you can adhere permanently.   My primary adhesive is This to That from American crafts.  This adhesive  has great stickiness but you can still remove and replace.

Warning:  I design my layouts with out a photo ....said no scrapper ever.  Yup! I am a backwards scrapper. When my layering is complete ....then I add photos.  If this seem absolutely crazy to you
( which I am sure it does) make a template the size of your photo for placement.

Recipe: Try and work in three's.  Notice the color coordinated arrows the paper patterns are repeated 2-3 times and form a triangle.  This gives uniformity to your layering and cohesiveness.  I applied Vintage Photo Distress Ink to all my edges and began to adhere.


Now my layers are complete! Time to add my photo, title, journaling and embellishments! 




 Did you notice my word embellishments moved to the 81/2 x 11 Layout?  Removable adhesive is worthy!

A close up of my journaling certainly I have to explain this crazy photo!


I hope after this post you feel more comfortable with layering and give it try.  We would love to see what you come up with , tag your post layering 101 in the gallery.

Extreme Makeover by Emoniedezigns.com
Other Supplies Used:
Silhouette Cameo-font in Brush Script Std font, lipstick and mascara die cuts.
EK Success Photo Label Punch Large
Dear Lizzy Wood Veneers
Maggie Holmes Chipboard Stickers









9 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I really like your style , has depth and interest . I have ton of embellishments so I I am going to give this layout a try. The detailed close up photos are very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! Thank you! Yes please give it a try it and let me know how it goes. Thank you for the feedback I will be mindful to always include closeups. Happy Layering!

      Delete
  2. Great first post Emonie, thanks for sharing your layering techniques...love the pp's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors in this layout. I am putting this on my crafty to do list to try! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! Thanks for all of the great instructions on layering. That's something I'm trying to perfect. Great idea to take a pic after you have everything the way you want it so that you can remove things to adhere. But uh no! I won't be making layouts without pictures LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emonie, Love this post. I am going to try your style of layering. I am always looking for ways to enhance my scrapbooking. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...