Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fun Organization Labels

Anyone who follows me on my blog or Facebook knows that I love organizing my scrapbook goodies almost as much as I love using them.  A few months ago, I did some sorting and re-organizing in my scrapspace.  At that time, I labeled all my embellishment cases that I purchased with pink vinyl.  I LOVE that I can easily see which container to grab when I am looking for a flair button or some wood veneer.  After completing that project, I started thinking about doing labels to attach to the many baskets that I also use for storage.



For my tags, I used my Silhouette Cameo and the new Silhouette pen holder. However, this same project can be done with any die cut machine or with punches.  I cut my labels from pale pink cardstock, then cut the same shape in silhouette chip board to back the cardstock as I was concerned about them holding up with use. I used the new silhouette pen holder and an American Crafts craft marker in the medium nib to write on each label. If I had it to do again, I would use a dedicated sketch font for the writing.  In this case, I used the LD Marker font which is a cut font. This is why the writing is not filled in, but I really like this font as it has a fun, playful look.  

I purchased the old pen holder by silhouette over a year ago and never liked the way it loaded pens.  I could never quite get the depth correct and never got clean writing with my machine.  The new holder has a cap that correctly gauges the depth needed in order for the pen to write correctly.  I love this feature. Now that I can get clean writing, I find myself using the pen holder much more.


To give you an idea of how other pens work with the writing feature of a die cut machine, I created the above chart.  For these, I used sketch or chalkboard fonts.  I used the pen name for each example so that you can easily see how they look.  I am told that each of these pens also works in the Cricut Explore die cut machine.  I also tested them in my old school cricut pen holder that I purchased for my Cricut Expression and they fit it as well.

I tested a Sharpie fine point, American Crafts Precision point, Sakura Gelly Roll gel pen and the American Crafts craft pen medium point.  Of note, the AC craft pens also come in a fine point and bold point. All of these pens use the medium holder from the Silhouette pen holder.  The pen holder package also contains a small pen holder and a large pen holder which means there are a wide variety of pens that can be used in the holder.


Here is a look at my labels attached to the baskets on my desk.  To attach them, I simply used a length of black ribbon from my stash and tied it around the basket handles. They were really easy to make and only took about 30 minutes to create.  

I hope you try this easy way to organize your supplies. Be sure to let me know if you decide to try this idea.


 

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I'm going to be reorganizing my entire craft room soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...