Thursday, June 4, 2015

Travel Ready Mini Album

Hello SOC loves!  Summer is right around the corner and the recent hot temps here on the East Coast have put the beach on my mind!  At the end of every summer, as I'm sorting through my vacation pictures, I tell myself I will create an album ahead of time the next year, and this time I did it.


 After seeing this fun little mini-book tutorial on Pinterest here, I knew it would be the perfect place to document our beach fun.


If you know me, you know I can't pass up a project that turns trash to treasure.  I used cereal boxes and wrapping paper to create it.  The only other supplies you need are scissors, mod podge or glue, a brayer or bone fold and optional papers and accents for embellishment.


I cut cereal box covers into 8 5 x 7 pieces that form the pages of the book.  Next, I rolled out the wrapping paper, lengthwise, long enough to line the pieces up about 1/8 inch apart.  Glue the pieces plain side down.  Use a brayer or bone fold to smooth out any wrinkles.  Use the ruler to measure about an inch out from the pieces, along the top, bottom and the 2 ends and cut off the excess.  


 Next, apply adhesive along the 1 inch margin of the top and fold over.  Do this with the bottom edge as well.  For the short sides, fold the corners down and adhere these edges to the cereal box pieces.


To make extra sturdy pages, spread glue on the 1st two pages and stick them together.  Folding the book accordion style, repeat this for pages 3 and 4 and so on for the remaining ones.


 You end up with a cute little book!  You can add a strip of paper along the "spine" of the book as a binding, but I left mine plain.


To create more space for photos, I added two pages of these "waterfall" photo mats.


You can make these by taking three pieces of cardstock in coordinating colors.  I cut mine to 4 1/4 in x 11 in, 4 1/4 inch by 6 1/4 in and 4 1/4 inch by 5 1/4 inch. Score the 11 inch-long piece at 5 1/2 in and fold in half.   Score the other two pieces 1 inch from the end and fold.  Layer the 6 1/4-inch piece on top of the 11-inch piece, with the fold lines matching.  Adhere the short side of the fold to the back of the bottom piece.  Layer the 5 1/4 inch piece on top and adhere the short side to the back of the piece underneath.  Fold all three pieces and adhere the back of the bottom piece to the book.


 I pulled some burlap, fabric, journaling cards, and scrapbook paper from my stash to dress up the                                                                                    cover and insides.


                                                       I hope you try this quick-and-easy mini!

7 comments:

  1. Whoa- this is so nicely done! I can see this technique being used for seasons and holidays s well.
    How long would you say it took you to complete it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this book has so many uses and I really like how sturdy it is! The actual bookmaking process took about an hour. Embellishing was a couple more hours because I did it on the fly; it would probably take less time if you sketched your design out before.

      Delete
  2. Great way to up-cycle those cereal boxes! It turned out beautifully~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done, would make a nice idea for my daughter's upcoming moving on ceremony, tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color scheme. It makes me think of the ocean and lots of beach fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly I love to make mini albums and this is a great idea. I like how using wrapping papers gives you the length you need to fully cover and make an accordion album. I love the way your album turned out, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...